[Beowulf] 8p 16 core x86_64 systems

Joshua Mora joshua_mora at usa.net
Tue Aug 12 11:10:30 PDT 2014

Certainly my assumption/interpretation has been "what is the availability of
the cheapest and largest SMP solution with full coherence in hardware that you
can build".
Notice I mention hardware based coherence since there are software based
solutions available as well.
If you need just plenty of cores at the highest core count density that you
can get with small memory footprint per OS_instance/core(for instance, for
consolidation/virtualization reasons), then you do not need coherence and a
much wider range of solutions are available that can use other
interconnects/fabrics.

Joshua