[Beowulf] on powering off and its character

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Aug 7 21:09:35 PDT 2014

Are you wondering about power turn on/off locally, or when the utility
shuts you down?

And are you interested in the voltage/current upstream or downstream of
the switch?

The power lines (of whatever length) are a transmission line with
distributed R, L, and C, and it¹s carrying an AC current, so when you
change something, there¹s a transient that propagates away from the
change.

On the power lines from Northern California to Southern California, for
instance, a switching transient can take more than 8 hours to die out, as
it propagates around, bouncing back and forth.

James Lux, P.E.
Task Manager, FINDER ­ Finding Individuals for Disaster and Emergency
Response
Co-Principal Investigator, SCaN Testbed (née CoNNeCT) Project
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
4800 Oak Grove Drive, MS 161-213
Pasadena CA 91109
+1(818)354-2075