[Beowulf] installint MPI 1.x on RHEL 5.4

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 26 06:13:10 PDT 2014

On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 10:45:05AM +0530, Bhabani Samantray wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
>        Can I make beowulf cluster using RHEL 5.4. If I can make then please
> send me the complete instruction from scratch level.
> Like what to install, and how to install and what to configure etc...
>
>        I want to install MPI 1.x on RHEL 5.4.
>

> many thanks
> Bhabani Sankar Samantray

Can you - probably, dependent on previous experience,  but you may need to read up on what you actually want to do
and, possibly, how to ask questions more appropriately. See http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smartquestions.html

RHEL versions:

RHEL 5.4 is rather old now: using your Red Hat subscription, I would suggest that you upgrade to RHEL 5.10.

Note that RHEL 5 is now out of standard support and into extended life cycle support for the last three years of
the lifespan. There will be no new hardware fixes and security support only.

You may want to consider Red Hat 6.5 to which your system entitlements will allow you to upgrade.
This will mean wiping RHEL 5.4 and installing 6.5 from scratch since there is no upgrade mechanism (one is promised
for RHEL 7 from RHEL 6.5 in due course when RHEL 7 is offically released but that will require you to be running
6.5 at the point of upgrade).

Red Hat support will be happy to answer support questions on how to upgrade: have your subscription details and licence
key numbers handy

Building MPI

You may find the instructions for how to compile a source RPM at http://mirror.its.dal.ca/openmpi/software/omp/v1.8/srpm.php
helpful.

This list

This list is composed primarily of a very small and select group of industry-leading experts and academics: it is not high traffic but none of us have
time or inclination to do homework for students and similar who haven't done some preliminary reading for themselves. Hint - there are approximately
15 years of archives of this list alone which may help to give you a background.

Hope this helps - with every good wish,

Andy Cater