[Beowulf] Any open source OS like IBM's CNK?

Prentice Bisbal prentice.bisbal at rutgers.edu
Mon Apr 14 13:19:32 PDT 2014

On 04/11/2014 09:26 AM, "C. Bergström" wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm exploring tiny OS, in-house homebrew and anything non-heavy (aka
> linux) for Xeon PHI. Does anyone on the list know of any open source
> work for something which is comparable to IBM's CNK (Cray also has
> their compute node OS, but I don't remember the name)

Is there any particular problem you are trying to solve with this, or is
it mainly for research/educational/curiosity reasons?

I've had this paper sitting on my desk for a couple of years, but I
still haven't been able to find the time to read it, "Designing and
Implementing Lightweight Kernels for Capability Computing" , buy Rolf
Riesen et. al.:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/cpe.1361/pdf

It lists a variety of kernels designed for this purpose, so you might
want to take a look at it, and see if you can get the source code to any
of them.

Also, what's wrong with Linux? Would a stripped down Linux kernel be
suitable. One of the early selling points of Linux was it's modular
design that allowed you to remove components to increase the performance
and reduce resource requirements. Have you looked at just paring down
the Linux kernel as much as possible?  This is something I've always
wanted to do but never had the time.

--
Prentice