[Beowulf] Problems with Dell M620 and CPU power throttling

Bill Wichser bill at princeton.edu
Tue Sep 17 17:40:57 PDT 2013

One week ago, on Tuesday September 10, we had a system downtime for some
work on our central filesystem. During that outage we decided to not
only power of the nodes but to also power off the chassis across 10
racks of these blades.

Every day we check the systems by running a "stress" benchmark and
checking the CPU speeds with "turbostat" and every day we find that the
cores are all exceeding the 2.6GHz E5-2670 rating, mostly settling in at
3.0 GHz (with turbo mode enabled).  Every day I wait to find that things
have again degraded but have been happily surprised.

If we get through a whole month then I would say that after all the
firmware and iDrac and CMC updates that a chassis power cycle is the
answer.  But tomorrow I will look again and hopefully be happily
surprised for one more day.

Bill

On 9/17/2013 8:06 PM, Richard Hickey wrote