[Beowulf] Admin action request

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Fri Nov 22 13:15:08 PST 2013

On 11/22/2013 02:00 PM, Ellis H. Wilson III wrote:
> On 11/22/13 15:42, Joe Landman wrote:

[...]

> I think "no support" may be a bit overreaching, but nevertheless, I

I couldn't find a person I spoke to about this from the list in support
of this persons actions.  Everyone I spoke with about this was quite
negative.  No support is an accurate reflection.

> could support administrative action if and only if the rules are put in
> writing someplace and said user(s) breach them again.  Maybe they are --
> I did a quick search and couldn't quite find any.

This person agreed not to do this previously when confronted on this,
and they have reverted to previous poor etiquette.  I am not in favor of
continuing to accept their breaches of etiquette.

> Punishing someone because a subset (even a large subset) of the list has
> sent emails that disagree with a particular user's actions doesn't seem
> right, to me at least.  A bit too much like witch burning for my
> comfort.  The only clean way to do it is have a set of rules setup by

This is more of enforcing list etiquette, as the owners of the content,
whom hold the copyright, and hence the redistribution rights, whom are
harmed by his actions, may decide that they wish to enforce their
copyrights.

This is not punishment of an (ab)user.  This is protection of the list
and the owners of the list.

I am sure Youtube does not like dealing with take down notices.  I am
sure the owners of the domain, hardware, etc. would not appreciate this
user dragging them into a confrontation with a content owner because of
his lack of etiquette or respect for reasonable guidelines for behavior,
which he had previously agreed to.

This is not a witch hunt.  It is an exercise in self preservation and
protection.

> the administration and to have the administration take action on clear
> breaches of those rules.
>
> Just my 2c though.  Maybe people prefer a more "organic" approach to
> rules and enforcement.

I'd be perfectly happy if moderation were in force for this user, so
that someone has to approve their posts.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com