[Beowulf] Dunking for Density: New Projects Pursue 3M’s Take on Immersion Cooling

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Nov 18 14:23:40 PST 2013

When I was working on some specialized test equipment on the island of Kauai, I asked why there was no air conditioning in the lab, just big vents and fans. The answer is that the temperature didn't vary all that much, never went above 30C, and never changed fast enough that condensation was an issue, especially if you were cooling heat generating equipment.

Checking online, I see that the average Max in Lihue (county seat of Kauai, on the shore.. we were up in the mountains) is 26-29C and the average Min is 18-23 C. The record high is 33C, record low is 8C.  (I'm sure the locals considered the latter as bitter cold).

One does not need a wide variety of types of clothing in Hawaii.
This lack of a need for heating and cooling in any practical sense is why people like to live in Hawaii.  It *is* quite humid, often, and it rains often (compared to Southern California, where I am.. not a lot compared to, say, Manila or Mumbai)  There are some freakishly wet places in Hawaii (Mt. Waialeale in Kauai with its hundreds of inches a year), but that's more of a microclimate thing with significant geographical effects.

So maybe the Maui Supercomputing Center is well situated?

Jim Lux