[Beowulf] 10GbE Adapter Market

Ellis H. Wilson III ellis at cse.psu.edu
Fri Nov 15 12:00:10 PST 2013

On 11/15/2013 02:52 PM, Peter St. John wrote:
> Well that's amusing. The link has a clever animation of someone googling
> on my behalf, and comes up with what I assume is the correct definition:
> (from https://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=define%3A+soho )
> "relating to a market for relatively inexpensive consumer electronics
> used by individuals and small companies."
>
> That's great, but there are two funny things about the page. It follows
> the definition with the actual google results for "soho", none of which
> mention anything even related to the given definition. The other funny
> thing is that the definition does not mention the acronym, or strictly
> speaking, the etymology of the "word".

Yes it does, you just had to click the down arrow to expand information
on the term.  The very next word is "Origin," which it states is
English, and gives the acronym as "Small Office Home Office."  It also
informs us that it was coined in the 1990s.

> So my actual bandwagon is that people should take the time to say what
> they mean; I don't mind looking up unfamiliar words, and I had
> (otherwise I wouldn't have known about the holotronic architecture
> idea). And if SOHO means COTS but nobody remembers the acronym, then I
> suggest sticking with COTS.

My preference is COTS as well, but, in all fairness, I'm rather unsure
if COTS is more a commonplace term than SOHO or if I'm just acclimated
to it more due to having been on the Beowulf list for so long.

Let's have google decide:
https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=COTS%2CSOHO&year_start=1800&year_end=2008&corpus=15&smoothing=7&share=&direct_url=t1%3B%2CCOTS%3B%2Cc0%3B.t1%3B%2CSOHO%3B%2Cc0

Looks like you're right.  The turning point for COTS vs SOHO was about
1995 from what I can tell.

Best,

ellis