[Beowulf] El Reg: AMD reveals potent parallel processing breakthrough

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Sat May 11 02:06:58 PDT 2013

On May 11, 2013, at 2:17 AM, Lux, Jim (337C) wrote:

> I agree with you..
> But proving that you can build a HPC using whatever, be it PS/3s or
> Furbys or nVidia cards, if you can't find people to program it,
> that's a problem.
>
> (As someone who proposed building a cluster with Arduinos, I
> recognize that I am eating my own dogfood now...  But I DO happen
> to have 5 Arduino Uno Ethernets here in my desk drawer, and I have
> a 5 port hub/switch as well.  The switch claims 1 Gbps, so I
> probably won't have to worry about saturating its bisection
> bandwidth. Or constructing some sort of toroidal fabric.  Funny, I
> don't see an implementation of MPIduino anywhere though.)

That's because if you produce a product it's cheaper to have your own
board designed and you put on it the chip that's fast enough for your
software.

That's far cheaper than using existing combination of boards.
To give one example for the robot i'm building.

A kind of tankchassis with robotarm on it, i want to drive a few DC
motors and a bunch of servo's. as well as robot vision with a camera.

Clustering 40 Mhz cpu's (or clocked something low like that) is
pretty stupid then if alternative is for example a board from odroid
or so that has a quad core ARM a9 on it.

That's $89 for the U2 with a quad core 1.7Ghz chip and $69 for quad
core 1.4Ghz

A lot cheaper and faster practically for vision software than any of
your r-pi/arduino cluster ideas :)

http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/products/prdt_info.php?
g_code=G135341359084

Even then this means a lot of boards for a high price, not to mention
all the motordrivers. Like 3-4 boards to steer the thing.

Much cheaper and faster is 1 board that integrates it all at the same
time. Quadcore chip on it, and ways to drive the motors,
at a fraction of the cost a board as compared to all the boards
needed in your cluster :)