[Beowulf] El Reg: AMD reveals potent parallel processing breakthrough

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Thu May 9 03:45:09 PDT 2013

On May 8, 2013, at 7:19 PM, Mark Hahn wrote:

>> Seems like a lifeline for AMD. Question is why they can deliver it
>> that cheap knowing they're a full generation behind intel.
>
> embedded products often use non-cutting-edge fabs - it really
> depends on the whole set of price/performance/heat/reliability/volume
> tradeoffs.  for instance, a "mature" fab tech will often have much
> better leakage control than when it is young - for a single line
> width, etc.

This is not the same sort of product Mark.

This product focuses upon maximum gpu performance, doing that in an
older factory
makes you compete less.

The AMD CEO represents a public company. He can't just public say he
won't be producing
his new stuff for the coming years in old factories and not be busy
with new factories at all,
and then suddenly switch to a new factory for a new APU he produces.

That's basically not telling publicly the truth and gives investors
and his share/stock holders wrong
information.

>> The first ps3 incarnation had a max power usage of around a 380 watt.
>> Maybe that's why Sony doesn't care?
>
> so O($5)/year (assuming $.15/kwh and 1% duty cycle).  is this a
> real concern?
> engineering-wise, it's a lot nicer to fit such a system inside a
> 50-100W window, which is what the current rumors sound like to me.

Both AMD as well as intel always publicly shout about their TDP's,
yet in reality if we look what the box eats from the power tap, it's
factors more
and it's not all psu losses. This where CPU is supposed to eat
majority of power :)