[Beowulf] Comparing PS4 with Xbox 720 next

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Wed May 8 03:08:42 PDT 2013

 From the article:

"As TG Daily previously reported, the PS4 is powered by an AMD CPU
and GPU. According to reports, the console boasts 8 x86-64 CPU cores,
while the GPU is based on the next-gen Radeon graphics engine,
capable of 1.84 teraflops of performance power. Because it is an APU,
both the CPU and GPU reside on the same physical die, sharing 8GB of
GDDR5 memory.
The console is also packaged with a redesigned controller that
features a touchpad on the front, a share button, a headphone jack, a
light bar for player identification and tech to sense a player's
depth and 3D position.

Meanwhile, the Xbox 720 (Next) is reportedly powered by an AMD eight-
core x64 1.6GHz CPU, a D3D11.x 800MHz GPU and 8GB of DDR3 RAM.

Read more at http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-features/
70724-microsofts-xbox-720-is-aligned-with-sonys-
playstation-4#YVukSix4LtIM80P6.99 "

There is a huge difference between DDR3 and GDDR5 ram in bandwidth.

1.6Ghz AMD chip with 8 cores to feed the GPU seems rather low lock to
me.

I'd prefer 1 module of 4Ghz. At the CPU there runs a lot of stuff for
a game. Important is the script/scenario.
That's all scripts usually or interpreters that figure out what to do
next and it's usually completely sequential code.

You really want a 4.4Ghz core for that rather than 8 times 1.6Ghz.

Latency really matters there as the entire GPU won't do a thing until
the CPU undertakes action.
Not much information there further that's useful.

Parallellizing the script is not so easy. Prefetching total nonsense
simply is not what you want as anything you have the GPU do will take
away bandwidth lowering your fps.

The only guess i can make is that AMD simply offered a great GPU for
cheap dollars and that Sony simply took the GPU and took the CPU for
granted, with of course Microsoft
negotiating after that in a manner which to say polite is a
disgusting way of doing business - yet it works.