[Beowulf] Programming for heartbeat

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Mon May 6 19:56:33 PDT 2013

I'm pretty sure (but correct me if I'm wrong) that Oracle's "message
passing toolkit" would be built on OpenMPI and not the other way around;
OpenMPI is open source, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenMPI
and does not require a software license from Sun or Oracle.

you can download (free) OpenMPI from this project page:
http://www.open-mpi.org/software/ompi/v1.6/

Oracle is indeed one of the industry partners, as is IBM, but also
government labs like Los Alamos and various Universities.

MPI provides a library so that your programs can pass jobs to other cores;
something like
for i = 1 to 10
  returnarray[i] = CallApplicationAtAnotherNode(i)
next i

along those lines. You want to try it if you want to do something
parallelizable, e.g. send each possible move in the current chess position
to each of many cores, each one simultaneously evaluates the outcome and
returns a result; play the best result. But if you want to add a column of
a million numbers, sending 1000 numbers to each of 1000 processors may take
more time than one processor just adding them up, so that wouldn't be so
parallelizable.

Peter