[Beowulf] Power calculations , double precision, ECC and power of APU's

James Cownie jcownie at cantab.net
Fri Mar 22 13:47:51 PDT 2013

On 22 Mar 2013, at 20:24, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:

> We were discussing APU's and the fact that single precision benchmarks get used in general now which makes me
> think that the APU's can't do double precision in the GPU that's built in into the silicon and also that it's without ECC.

Sorry, I missed the original context (as, clearly had others, since I didn't start the discussion of Phi in this thread).

> Obviously being a highend product *no one doubts* that Xeon Phi has ECC :)
>
> I thought let's make some noise and sure someone directly bites for the Xeon Phi.
> Now also say a word on the APU's please and their double precision capability :)

Alas, I know nothing about the performance of the on-die graphics processors.
It seems to me, though, that since they're on the die they'll be accessing memory
though the same interface as the other cores on the die, and therefore will have ECC
if that memory interface has it.

I do know that the OpenCL SDK is available for free (as in beer) if you want to play around
and run your own benchmarks.

--
-- Jim