[Beowulf] difference between accelerators and co-processors

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Thu Mar 14 04:22:18 PDT 2013

On Mar 12, 2013, at 5:45 AM, Mark Hahn wrote:

>>> I don't think it is a useful distinction: both are basiclly
>>> independent
>>> computers.  obviously, the programming model of Phi is dramatically
>>> more
>>> like a conventional processor than Nvidia.
>>>

>> Mark, that's the marketing talk about Xeon Phi.
>
> I have no idea what this means.  Nvidia's programming model is:
>
> 	- board provides a small number of cores (1-16 SMs)
> 	- each core has a large pool of in-flight instructions to help
> 	tolerate memory latency, bank collisions, etc.
> 	- instrs are SIMD-like: width 32-192, depending on model.
> 	- cores are sparse in FP units, relative to SIMD width.
> 	- each SIMD element is slightly thread-like, in that untaken branches
> 	are implemented as consuming a slot, but are masked ("divergence")
> 	- onboard memory at core and global levels, some software-managed
> 	(registers) and/or cache, as well as globally addressible offchip.
>
> Phi's model is this:
>
> 	- board provides 60ish cores with coherent cache(s).
> 	- each core has a 512b SIMD FPU, otherwise normal x86_64 registers
> 	- cores are in-order, but can be timesliced to hide latency.
>
>> It's surprisingly the same of course except for the cache coherency;
>> big vector processors.
>
> neither system is a vector processor in the normal/classic sense.

It's massive vector processors.

If you look from a distance Xeon Phi is not much different from a GPU.

Xeon has vectors of 8 doubles versus the SIMD vector units of the
gpu's even a tad more.

Of course next intel Xeon Phi version 2 will have to use vectors of
16 doubles, clock it a tad lower,
if they want to really increase processing power of it.

The word 'normal' x86_64 registers is not even interesting to use.
You ain't gonna invest into a Xeon Phi,
in order to have it  factors slower than the 16 core Xeon box where
it is located in.

You invest into it to run vector codes that use 8 doubles a vector,
so you have to write that AVX2 code or whatever you want to call it,
and use 8 doubles in each instruction and just keep on multiplying
and multiplying.

One keeps hammering at those multiplication instructions. If they
can't multiply fast, they lose it from the competition.
The rest on that chip is really less interesting, as long as it can
keep up with the multiplication :)