[Beowulf] difference between accelerators and co-processors

Joshua mora acosta joshua_mora at usa.net
Sun Mar 10 17:55:47 PDT 2013

See this paper
http://synergy.cs.vt.edu/pubs/papers/daga-saahpc11-apu-efficacy.pdf

While discrete GPUs underperform wrt APU on host to/from device transfers in a
ratio of ~2X, it compensates by far the computing power and local bandwidth
~8-10X.

You can cook though a test where you do little computation and it is all bound
by the host to/from device transfers.

Programming wise there is no difference as there isn't yet coherence so
explicit transfers through API calls are needed.

Joshua