[Beowulf] Innovative liquid cooling

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Mar 7 12:19:52 PST 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: beowulf-bounces at beowulf.org [mailto:beowulf-bounces at beowulf.org] On Behalf Of Joe Landman
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 8:56 AM
To: beowulf at beowulf.org
Subject: Re: [Beowulf] Innovative liquid cooling

On 03/06/2013 11:48 AM, Hearns, John wrote:
>> Cool-Whip is sold in a tub and is a foamed hydrogenated coconut and palm oil with corn syrup and some foam stabilizers like casein, xanthan gum and guar gum.
>> It can be frozen and thawed (unlike real cream).  Apparently, they
>> started adding a small amount of skim milk to it in 2010.  (From a
>> Kosher standpoint, CoolWhip was always >considered dairy because of
>> the sodium caseinate, which is made from milk)
> The equivalent in the UK is Angel Delight. I was brought up on it.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_Delight
> The Wikipedia page has no figure for its thermal conductivity.
> However it is available in several rather nice flavours, each appropriate for different sizes of cluster.

Why not beer as a coolant?  I can see it now

"My cluster is cooled by Guinness"

"Oh yeah?  Mine is cooled by London Pride!"

Considering the stories about "Lucas Refrigeration" and "cellar temperature" beer, I'm thinking you might want a frosty cold light pilsener.    Or perhaps Bass could seek another royal warrant.. "by appointment to her/his majesty provider of supercomputer coolant"  (see, I actually *read* my beer bottles, although I'm not sure Bass still has a warrant in these InBev days)