[Beowulf] China to eclipse Titan with 48,000 Intel MICs?

Prentice Bisbal prentice.bisbal at rutgers.edu
Thu Jun 6 07:14:58 PDT 2013

You're not completely off the mark, but you are a bit off. Speaking from
what I know of the national HPC resources  in the US (ALCF, OLCF,
XSEDE), to get on the largest systems you usually have to go through an
application process that shows your programs can scale well enough to
use these large supercomputers, and the schedulers are usually
configured to give preference to larger jobs.

So while it might be true that these systems are seldom used to run a
single job across every single node and processor, efforts are made to
keep out the poseurs and reward those who do use large portions of the
cluster for a single job. In other words, I think your off by a matter
of degree. I think a "small" job on systems like this is probably a few
thousand or tens of thousands of cores.

Hopefully someone from ALCF, OLCF, XSEDE or some other large HPC center
can chime in with more detailed information.

Prentice