[Beowulf] NVIDIA buying PGI

mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Wed Jul 31 12:27:29 PDT 2013

Douglas Eadline wrote:

> It makes sense, PGI accelerator is nice and keeping
> it out of the hands of competitors makes strategic
> sense I suppose, I would not be expecting any further support
> for AMD APU from PGI.

Am I the only one who hates it when companies make such blatantly
anti-competitive moves
(and the antitrust people look the other way)?  This may (may) be good
for Nvidia, but I don't see
it as being at all good for the customers.

At least Nvidia isn't being sneaky about it.  Unlike when Intel's
compilers were needlessly generating
inferior code for AMD targets, or when Microsoft made early Windows
throw an error when it ran on DR-DOS
instead of MS-DOS.

Regards,

David Mathog