[Beowulf] single machine with 500 GB of RAM

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Wed Jan 9 11:25:57 PST 2013

On 01/09/2013 12:00 PM, Andrew Holway wrote:
> As its a single thread I doubt that faster memory is going to help you much. It's going to suck whatever you do.

Hi

I don't know anything about computational chemistry
or its grid/mesh requirements,
but if you look at the makefile, you'll see that
the code is compiled with OpenMP:

CCFLAGS = -O3 -Wno-deprecated -ffor-scope -fopenmp
LFLAGS  = -O3 -fopenmp -static

Hence, it should work multi-threaded.

Whether the use of OpenMP in the code leads to good scaling or not,
that is a different story.
There are just a handful of OpenMP pragmas, and restricted
to three source files only.

basin_eval-4.6.cxx:    #pragma omp parallel
basin_eval-4.6.cxx:    #pragma omp for
basin_eval-4.6.cxx:    #pragma omp parallel
basin_eval-4.6.cxx:    #pragma omp for
compute_wf-4.6.cxx:    #pragma omp parallel
compute_wf-4.6.cxx:    #pragma omp for
grid_util-4.6.cxx:    #pragma omp parallel
grid_util-4.6.cxx:        #pragma omp for private (ijk, position)

Who knows, if this covers the algorithm's core/expensive loops,
that may do it.

It may be worth test scaling in any multicore machine,
before buying a bigger one.

Also, the code seems to be all C++ (irregular grid/adaptive mesh
folks seem to love it).
I couldn't find any good ol' Fortran or bona fide C.

I hope this helps,
Gus Correa