[Beowulf] getting a phi, dammit.
hahn at mcmaster.ca
Wed Feb 27 13:01:06 PST 2013
thanks for all the replies. so far, the impression I get is:
- Intel isn't interested in resellers, only a few OEMs.
- even OEMs are not really on top of things.
- there many claims of Phi being quite picky about PCIe and BIOS.
- OEMS generally want to sell you a $5k server with that $3k Phi.
- some OEMs offer surprisingly dense solutions (not necessarily
a good thing...)
I find the PCIe/BIOS stuff quite dubious, though I suppose Phi is still
elatively immature. maybe the next version will be the one that will be
generally applicable. I suspect by contrast that I can buy a K20 card
and drop it into most any gen1/2/3 PCIe x16 slot and it'll work (assuming
I provide the right power and cooling, of course.)
all this seems rather surprising to me. I know HPC isn't the center
of the universe, but to me it looks like Intel is executing Phi poorly.
NVidia has a huge headstart, and frankly, AMD's HSA stuff seems a lot
more coherent and thought out (though obviously still vapor-phase.)
More information about the Beowulf