[Beowulf] SSD caching for parallel filesystems

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Sun Feb 10 01:41:27 PST 2013

SSD's are not about bandwidth, they're about latency.

With a raid array of cheapo disks we can also get 3GB/s bandwidth,
more than most 2 socket nodes effectively can handle.

Only theoretically a higher bandwidth will be possible (benchmarks huh).

However getting 20 bytes from a SSD is in the few dozens of
microseconds, versus several milliseconds for the cheapskate disks.

That factor of 50-100 difference roughly in latency difference is the
reason SSD's exist.

Any bandwidth test of a SSD is total nonsense.