[Beowulf] Supercomputing on the cheap with Parallella

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Dec 13 09:55:41 PST 2013

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 12:07:37PM -0500, Douglas Eadline wrote:

> I'm in the queue to get one of these. Of course we have all seen

Yes, me too.

> the "A Beowulf Cluster of X gives the masses cheap supercomputing"
> stories. It has a GigE connection as an interconnect, about which my
> questions from Adapteva have not been answered in any detail.

It should be an integral part of the Zynq 7020 SoC, along
with the ARM cores. The Adapteva guys only contributed
the DSP cluster-on-a-chip.

I'm more interested in the cluster kit, which bypasses
the Gbit Ether
http://shop.adapteva.com/collections/featured-products/products/parallella-cluster-kit

> And then there is the software thing.

The SDK is available, and they offer
MPI as well as OpenCL, OpenMP etc.
Of course the embedded 32 kByte constrain
your problem size considerably.