[Beowulf] Are disk MTBF ratings at all useful?

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 18:19:39 PDT 2013

Human mortality has, broadly, a Poisson, and a non-Poisson, component. The
chance of getting hit by a meteor is Poisson, it has nothing to do with
your age; but the chance of a 99 year old living to 100 is lower than the
chance of a 20 year old living to 21, because we wear out, that's not
Poisson. (Dogs are a clearer example: the chance of getting hit by a car is
Poisson, but dying of old age after a dozen years or so is not.)

We usually think of incandescent light bulbs as Poisson; the chance of, I
don't know, Brownian Motion, clipping a very narrow filament, is bigger
than the degradation of mere use; except in the case of switching the bulb
off and on frequently, when the chance of failure depends more on fatigue
as the filament expands and contracts.

Hard Disks are somewhat Poisson, and somewhat not. More so, I think, than
humans.

Peter