[Beowulf] Are disk MTBF ratings at all useful?

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Mon Apr 22 09:11:39 PDT 2013

On 04/22/2013 12:07 PM, mathog wrote:
> In partial answer to the subject question, let us apply the mode of
> analysis used by the drive manufacturers
> to human life expectancy, as if Humans were one of their products.
> That is, what is the Human AFR and
> MTBF? Unlike for disk drives, we can easily obtain a table of USA

[...]

> So the MTBF for the humans (in years, not hours), is 1/.000676 = 1479
> years.
> This number is just as nonsensical for people as 150 years is for
> disks.

Paraphrasing that great philosopher, Yoda ...

"If into the MTBF calculations you go, only pain will you find."

MTBF may be more of a statement of wishful thinking.  Not unlike IOP and
bandwidth numbers on SSDs.  Oh I didn't go there ... oh wait ... I did ...

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com