[Beowulf] Definition of HPC

Ellis H. Wilson III ellis at cse.psu.edu
Thu Apr 18 11:39:57 PDT 2013

On 04/18/2013 02:35 PM, Joe Landman wrote:
> landman at metal:~$ sudo ./drop_caches.bash
> [sudo] password for landman:
> landman at metal:~$
>
> #  PROFIT!!!

This is exactly how I do things.  I've got a whole folder of "special
scripts" that require su.

But getting the script developed usually requires some experimenting as
root to get the right order down and verify that it works.  I see that
as a whole lot safer than just writing the script from scratch and
sudo'ing it and hoping it works.  Just me though.

To further bastardize the analogy, sometimes rock-climbing with scissors
is necessary, but if you don't hang a pulley system when you get to the
top and use that from then on to lift the scissors up and down the
rock-wall, well, you're just asking for it.

Best,

ellis