[Beowulf] Definition of HPC

Herbert Fruchtl herbert.fruchtl at st-andrews.ac.uk
Wed Apr 17 01:32:21 PDT 2013

>> >"Owned compute" has some advantages over "rented compute."  In general, the
>> >control one has over one's owned resources enables applications to run with
>> >greater performance.  Some optimizations just demand root access!
>> >
> As someone who has been Scientific Computing/HPC System Admin, I can
> tell you this is a complete myth.

You need at least access to the person with root access. If (s)he's a colleague
who needs to keep 10 more users in the department happy, you can sit down and
find a solution if your program doesn't work. Try to convince Amazon that you
need SHMMAX increased, and that their default processor affinity settings slow
your code down.

Herbert Fruchtl
Senior Scientific Computing Officer
School of Chemistry, School of Mathematics and Statistics
University of St Andrews
The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland:
No SC013532