[Beowulf] Definition of HPC

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Mon Apr 15 12:26:43 PDT 2013

> "High performance computing (HPC) is a form of computer usage where
> utlilization one of the computer subsystems (processor, ram, disk,
> network, etc), is at or near 100% capacity for extended periods of time."
>
> Could my laptop exhibit symptoms of HPC, as you defined them?

depends on your lap ;)

but seriously, the utilization part is good, but must be paired with
the fact that systems are scaled (up and/or out).

"webscale" people, sometimes called big-data, are very much like HPC,
and offer some new and interesting different kinds of wheels
(consider message queueing in their world versus MPI.)