[Beowulf] Cloud / HPC

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Mon Apr 15 11:12:11 PDT 2013

On 4/15/13 1:58 PM, James Cuff wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 1:20 PM, Douglas Eadline <deadline at eadline.org>
> wrote:
>>
>>> Finally a well balanced, hype free article by respected industry expert
>>> Jeff Layton:
>>>
>>> http://www.admin-magazine.com/HPC/articles/the_cloud_s_role_in_hpc
>> Excuse me James for hijacking your post. I'll try to be brief.
>> I want to chime in on the copy and paste to the list issue
>> using this story as an example.
> I agree with you Doug.  Mind you it is a slippery old slope I can tell you.
>
> Since leaving academia this January, and joining Cycle I wanted to
> point out a couple of issues I've noticed:
>
> - my IQ has dropped 78 points
>
> - my email now defaults to HTML
>
> - (salespitcyitis) aware that any critical discourse with me should
> now always be thought of as a sales pitch
>     (Joe L. also suffers violently from this haha! *duck*, *run*,
> *hide* - always forget he is a black belt hehe!)

wait ... what?

> - wearing "the business mullet" all the time

That works most places but financial services.  There its at least
reasonable business attire.  I do love the mullet though.

> - any knowledge of high performance interconnects just simply vanished
> *poof* *gone*

Not all places.

> - new found obsessive interest in these things they call "skymiles" #
> chieftravelingofficer

[/sigh] All my flights are to/from NY (with a few to London, and other
places), so If I do 50 of those flights, I can just barely hit the
lowest mileage level for upgrades.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO