[Beowulf] HP Moonshot also with AMD Kyoto

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Apr 13 08:22:56 PDT 2013

On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 11:14:19AM -0400, Joe Landman wrote:

>> Most people will read that online in their browser.
>> (Unless they're blind, which is actually one of
>> the reasons why I'm doing it).
>
> I see (no pun intended).  So this is an altruistic service on your part?

I hope so.

I'm doing this for dozens of lists. Beowulf@ is just a sideshow.

> Whose tools are unable to handle links correctly?
>
> I am sorry, this simply doesn't make any sense, and I'm not buying it.
>

>>>    Please stop posting full articles.
>>
>> I can tell you that the number of hits on the article
>> will definitely not diminish by me posting them.
>
> [...]
>
>> You seem to think that I'm stealing the eyeballs from
>> the authors. I'm not sure this is correct, unless
>> there is empirical evidence for it.
>
> No Eugen, you are stealing revenue from them by *reducing* the number of
> people that will hit their site, diminishing their possible advertising

No, I'm *increasing* the number of people who will hit their site by
posting the article. In some cases that will be thousands or ten
thousands of additional hits.

> revenue.  And in the process, you are opening up the ownership and
> management of the list to potential liability in jurisdictions where the
> servers are located (the US), for copyright violations.

I'm not in the US/IANAL so I'm not sure how much this is a problem in
practice.

> Never mind the bad etiquette in doing so.  You simply do not want to
> make the very limited media that follow this market, less interested in
> doing so, as it would be less profitable for them to do so.
>
> The correct way to do this is to post a short snip from the article, and
> then the link.  Anything else amounts to stealing revenue from them, and
> reproduction of their work without consent (which is a thorny issue here
> in the US, where the servers and folks whom own the systems, are
> located).

If this is an actual problem I'm going to stop posting anything but OC.

> [ADMIN_request]
>
> Please indicate list policy on this.

Yes, please. I don't want to get any bystanders into hot water.