[Beowulf] Electricity cost: a critical survival issue of our ICT infrastructures.

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 06:00:31 PDT 2013

I'm no physicist, but I did a back-of-the-envelope calculation (available
if you are curious, my "envelope" is vi, but since I'm a lousy physicist I
gloss), using
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limits_to_computation
(which connects the cosmic microwave background radiation to a limit for
energy per state change) and guesstimating a million state changes per FLOP
(I don't know how to count the state changes to perform e.g. a multiply of
two registers, because a circuit to do it would have current or taut
strings or something that themselves change state), and got 10^-15 joule
per FLOP or 10^-15 watt per FLOPS, about half a million times more
efficient than the Blue Gene doing 2000 MFLOPS per watt.

I'm just saying, the theoretical limits are a ways off yet. In the short
term power costs for growing clusters for growing computing demand looks
bleak maybe, but I think there's lots of elbow room yet for clever
improvements. Like chilling my mineral oil in the fridge overnight before
filling my desktop case with it :/
Peter