[Beowulf] Checkpointing using flash

Justin YUAN SHI shi at temple.edu
Sat Sep 29 20:40:17 PDT 2012

Something like that. But we don't want the app code to look too ugly.

My idea is to use data parallel API. This is nothing new. In theory,
every MPI program can be translated into data parallel. The magic is
the total transformation of the application architecture.

Traditionally computer, network and application architectures are
separate concerns. I think this is all WRONG.

Ultimately, the application architecture matters to the scientists.
Thus API design is more important than just passing information.

Using the data parallel API, we have the opportunity to build a smart
infrastructure to counter both communication and computation transient
faults by automatically re-transmit data tokens that is too slow to
return results. The application can then claim performance and
reliability at the same time when up scaling the nodes. The app code
can still be elegant looking. For example, you can have multiple
Infiniband interfaces (some machines already have) to help counter the
speed disparity between computing and communication.

The only explicit error handling is for redundant result submissions.
I think the app can do a quorum if you care about Byzantine failure.
Otherwise, you can just harvest the first and ignore others. I cannot
figure out a better way to avoid this step. Maybe you all can help.

Justin