[Beowulf] In the news again HPC in Iceland

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Fri Sep 21 07:21:08 PDT 2012

Typical German marketing.

Say A, do B.

Knowing how German industry works, they probably will deploy one
computer there when they sell a few more BMW's in Iceland.
In the meantime their top secret crunching runs on browncoals in
Germany of course.

A lot cheaper than 4.3 cents a kilowatt hour browncoals are.

An article today in the newspaper suggested German Minister Altmaier
announced more or less he wants to quit solar panel
subsidies, and for now announces to dramatically lower it,
which of course in combination with getting rid of nuclear reactors
means they're gonna burn even more coals in Germany,
as *somewhere* they need this huge amount of energy for their
industry. We're speaking about a 50000 megawatt or so.

Usually they calculate with householeds and ignore the 90-95% of
energy that companies and especially industry consumes...

Germany is world champion in saying A and doing B.