[Beowulf] cluster building advice?

Douglas Eadline deadline at eadline.org
Mon Sep 17 08:45:56 PDT 2012

You may want to look at Warewulf. Jeff Layton recently
wrote a great 4 part series on HPC Admin about it.
Here is the first article:

http://hpc.admin-magazine.com/Articles/Warewulf-Cluster-Manager-Master-and-Compute-Nodes

You can also take a look at this link on Cluster Monkey,
which has links to provisioning tools (and you may want to
click around the site)

 http://www.clustermonkey.net/Plumbing/

Finally, in the not to distant future I'll be announcing
a set of cluster RPMs for Scientific Linux 6.X with
instructions (and a kickstart file) on how to build
a simple turn key cluster. Warewulf is the provisioning tool.
If you need more information, contact me off list.

--
Doug

> Hello everyone!
>
> I am getting started on a cluster building project at my university. We
> just replaced all of our lab machines so I am going to be using the old
> machines to rebuild our cluster. The intention is for the system to be
> used for scientific computation. I am trying to decide on a linux
> distribution to use. Does it matter all that much? Any advice would be
> greatly appreciated. Book suggestions would help too. I am waiting to
> receive Building Clustered Linux Systems
> <http://www.amazon.com/Building-Clustered-Linux-Systems-Robert/dp/0131448536/ref=sr_1_20?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1347832213&sr=1-20&keywords=building+linux+clusters>
> by Robert W. Lucke
> <http://www.amazon.com/Robert-W.-Lucke/e/B001IQXRT6/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_20?qid=1347832213&sr=1-20>
> but my advisor for the project is concerned that it may be out of date
> for what we are doing. Please share your ideas. Thanks!
>
> -Jeffrey Rossiter
> <http://www.amazon.com/Robert-W.-Lucke/e/B001IQXRT6/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_20?qid=1347832213&sr=1-20>
>

> --
> Mailscanner: Clean