[Beowulf] NFS over RDMA performance confusion

Prentice Bisbal prentice.bisbal at rutgers.edu
Thu Sep 13 07:59:29 PDT 2012

Prentice Bisbal
Manager of Information Technology
Rutgers Discovery Informatics Institute (RDI2)
Rutgers University
http://rdi2.rutgers.edu

On 09/13/2012 10:45 AM, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
> On Sep 13, 2012, at 4:24 PM, Prentice Bisbal wrote:

>>> from email some time ago posted on this list:
>>>
>>> " Oracle and
>>> Nexenta are both sending me ZFS based boxes to test and I hope to
>>> compare
>>> the performance and stability of these with the Netapp (formally lsi
>>> engenio) E540"
>>>
>>> He got one or more machines from Oracle and the dude is benchmarking
>>> MySQL...
>>>
>> Uhhh... Oracle owns MySQL.
>>
> As they wanted it to die of course and sell more Oracle databases.
>
> At the moment Oracle took over MySQL quite some years ago, i directly
> switched to a different database and
> threw away MySQL.
>
> The lastest incarnation of PostgresSQL is popular now as replacement
> of MySQL.
>
> For serious database work - there is only Oracle of course.
> No one should be interested in MySQL anymore by 2012.
>
> Note MySQL never was even remotely serious as a database. As soon as
> you had its database go get out of RAM,
> it became serious slow.

This ridiculous claim confirms that you are completely out of touch with
reality. If MySQL "never was even remotely serious as a database", why
is it one of the most widely used databases in the world?

I think the other poster was right. The only thing of value you can
bring to this list is your silence.

--
Prentice