[Beowulf] propagation velocity in cables

Andrew Piskorski atp at piskorski.com
Mon Sep 10 09:52:52 PDT 2012

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 11:21:17AM -0400, Prentice Bisbal wrote:

> >    http://www.nanex.net/aqck2/3532.html
> >    http://www.nanex.net/Research/Proposal/NanexProposal.html
> >    http://www.nanex.net/aqck/2817.That

> It sounds to me like they're talking about the practice of "quote
> stuffing", which is essentially a denial-of-service attack on the
> trading system.

I don't think so.  Quote stuffing is certainly quote spam, but from
the Nanex reports it sounds like most of the quote spam doesn't
perform DOS (and isn't intended to), and thus isn't quote stuffing per
se.  Answering that definitively though would require understanding
all the reasons HFT algorithms use quote spam.  The Nanex guys might
know that, but I certainly don't.

--
Andrew Piskorski <atp at piskorski.com>