[Beowulf] Servers Too Hot? Intel Recommends a Luxurious Oil Bath

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 10 04:44:44 PDT 2012

You are rather naive to believe that public released numbers, other
than total CPU's sold, will give you ANY data on
what holds the biggest secrets of society. Secrecy is a higher
priority here than for any
military data.

On military data it's tough to make money, as you risk getting a car
accident.

With trading secrets you can make BIG CASH and no one shoots you and
no one ever got convicted for stealing something there AFAIK.

What we DO know is a few hard facts that are not nice to hear.

That is that each year inflation averaged over the past 70 years is
historically 5%+, and with those populists that call
themselves politicians, all of them overspending, that won't get
lower coming few years. The average will rise
of course.

If you buy shares apple now. You get 1.7% dividend.

That's LOWER than inflation.

Historic dividend is quite some above 4%. Nearly 5%.
Historic Indexation is another 7%+.

So if you would have invested in DJI, say around 1935 and then in
2005 looked what you had made,
you would've made an average of nearly 12% a year, dividend and
indexation added up.

If you do math with other indice, for example AEX of Netherlands, it
started in 1983, and then calculate to 2005,
you get actually nearly the same percentage of nearly 12%.

Of course had you promised before 9/11 a percentage of 12% as a
quant, you wouldn't even get hired, as they wanted 20%
as an average a year, in order to pay for their own costs.

Right now no one who is making those percentages based upon
indexation and dividend is low.

Several high frequency traders on other hand made an average profit
of over 10% profit each year over the past 12 years.
High frequency trading was just a few billion dollar worth in total
earnings start this century.

Right now even the guys who are 'long term' investing in the
exchanges, they just trade futures and relative few
options as a protection (if they're cheap).

So entire market has moved nearly completely to derivatives right now.

That's an amount of cash that if you write it out, you easily make a
mistake in the number of zero's it has that number,
that much it is.

You really would be naive to believe they will give you or me ANY
information.

First of all no one has access to the bunkers of the traders where
they are doing all the analysis.
Not even the army, especially army guys, most intelligence dudes are
known for stealing data and using for their own
gain, as long as they don't get shot, especially military doesn't get
in there.

Speaking of your government. They don't even have the EQUIPMENT to
verify what the traders are doing. the governments
equipment works in the milliseconds still. Traders however measure in
microseconds of course.

Let's start with definitions.

Something that calculates in a HPC center. You sure its name is
'server'?

For companies that really will give you 0 information, it's rather
difficult to count what they actually have.

It's for example unclear how many of them are number crunching on
gpu's. We can safely assume majority is not yet doing that.
But i know of at least 1 hedgefund which has surprising amounts of
guys hired who know something about gpgpu.

Then 1+1 = 2 of course.

Start looking at intel Xeon sales and IBM sales and realize how few
HPC centers that do for governments nowadays lately got
an 'upgrade'. Then come back with those sales numbers.

Furthermore for such long term analysis, it doesn't matter if a
machine sometimes goes broken. The google principle simply
applies. Cheap number crunching hardware is what matters. It will
need quite some bandwidth of course for the trading data
and they need big storage.

So looking at number of harddrives sold, and i'd look to SATA drives
if i were you as those are cheaper, is a more interesting thing.

The only fast low latency machines with fast cpu's you need is in the
datacenter of the platforms and the exchanges.

For the simulations it's all about having massive cpu power and there
is a LOT of solutions to do that.
The only thing we DO know is that the High Frequency Traders are
still making good cash and nearly no one else is.

So it's obvious everyone is moving there. If you do not build
yourself a huge datacenter as a trader, then it's time to retire and
enjoy your pension.

The most important observation is that HFT can avoid worst case
scenario's for you. Limit losses during big crashes.

What is that worth to you?

Will there be a new crash any soon knowing that markets don't like
Europe overspend a tad under 3%, whereas
USA is overspending 50%+ right now?  (spending divided by income).

It seems that in 2008 democratic forces took care that the already
volatile situation, which was there since 2007,
that it crashed instantly.

If republican forces want to do the same thing now, they have roughly
3 weeks left for a perfect timing to get their
candidate elected.

And for years to come after that, USA will be overspending too much.
Will it get like Japan which has 230%+ debt and therefore an exchange
that total imploded?

No one knows.

But we do know 1 hard fact and that's that only the high frequency
traders made GOOD PROFITS in a SYSTEMATIC manner past 12 years
and no one else did do that.

By the way: the bigger the bank the slower they are to adapt to the
new reality...