[Beowulf] Servers Too Hot? Intel Recommends a Luxurious Oil Bath

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Sep 5 11:33:09 PDT 2012

On Wed, 5 Sep 2012, Jeff Johnson wrote:

> for nuke reactors) escapes me. If you combined the GreenRevolution
> approach with looping sea water to exchange the heat you would get
> pretty close to a PUE of 1. Especially if servers and their components
> were redesigned for submerged operation as the original article mentioned.

Personally, designing for immersion in salt water is, um, not a sane
choice.  Salt water has all of these annoying properties -- it's a good
conductor of electricity, it's corrosive as all hell, it is filled with
all of these really annoying animals and plants that like to grow on
warm surfaces especially, and the pressure increases as you descend in
it at 1 atmosphere per 10 meters) (to name four, two of which I have to
deal with on a regular basis just maintaining a boat that sits on the
surface in salt water for a week.  I'm guessing barnacles would
interfere with heat transport...;-)

However, using seawater in the pacific to dump heat into carried there
by cooling fluid (e.g.) is quite reasonable.

    rgb