[Beowulf] Servers Too Hot? Intel Recommends a Luxurious Oil Bath

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Sep 4 21:35:26 PDT 2012

On 9/4/12 3:46 PM, "Vincent Diepeveen" <diep at xs4all.nl> wrote:

>Uranium is dirt cheap as well, and i don't refer to mox fuel then,
>yet to the actual
>uranium you (not me of course) can dig up so easily in say Australia
>or Syria;
>dirt cheap if we look at what a central needs a year versus central
>construction costs.

>From what I understand, depleted uranium (from which the 235 has been
removed) is essentially available for the transportation costs, as long as
you're willing to take "car-load" lots.

(granted, transporting tons of anything isn't free)

Uranium is actually one of the more common elements.  There are whole
mountains of Carnotite (potassium uranium vanadate) in the Southwestern US.

>The argument of helium being very cheap was also raised in an
>interview with several of the collider guys
>put in front of a camera, i must apologize i can't remember whether
>it was discovery channel or national geographic.

I think the concern in the nuclear biz is more with He3, which has many
useful properties, in particular, being useful for Neutron detection and
the like.