[Beowulf] Degree

Florent Calvayrac florent.calvayrac at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 08:46:51 PDT 2012

Here in France you can get 1 year of university equivalence for 5 years of professional activity if you explain what you have done in a written application ; then typically you only need to study for 1 year in order to get the degree you need (bsc, msc, engineering..) . Usually students doing this get bad grades in math (less and less true however with the exams being easier every year) but ace the more technical part. The pay of a phd student is however just a little above minimum wage so professionals tend to get them in their free time and need 5 years or more to become doctors. So if you want I can help you get an almost free, official French degree in hpc or computer modeling in physics. 

On the side I am sure that each and every scientist who ever attended a serious conference had a good laugh at  Diep's comment . I remember having to defend my choice of equations against a horde of Russian scientists ..

Le 24 oct. 2012 à 14:58, Andrew Holway <andrew.holway at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hello,
> I have no education. I left school at 16 and, in my mid 20's, somehow
> got into supercomputing and now am doing all kinds of silly stuff.
> Thing is, I need some kind of degree in this stuff to do the kind of
> work I really want to do. Especially in Germany, organisations
> involved in HPC usually strictly require an advanced degree if you
> want to be paid. They can hire you but can't pay you due to union
> restricted pay grades that are based on your level of education.
> I've managed to do some interesting stuff freelance but it was a real PITA.
> Im currently working as a system architect for a Berlin firm,
> designing and testing a new large scale cloudy type infrastructure. I
> am the project lead and am completing pretty much all the work myself.
> Playing with technologies such as Infiniband, ZFS, iSCSI, Databases et
> al. The problems are complex and require a very special understanding
> of the whole stack.
> Would it be possible to turn this kind of work into a masters degree
> or perhaps even a PHD? Its been suggested that the scale of the
> projects that I am working on now are equivalent to a PHD.......
> I have the resources, time, intent and lots of complex problems to solve.
> Would it be possible for a friendly professor to supervise me in this
> kind of circumstance?
> If this is possible, what kind of costs would I incur?
> Thanks,
> Andrew
> Linkedin http://www.linkedin.com/in/andrewholway
> References - https://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~holway/
> Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about
> telescopes. - I want to build a better telescope.
> _______________________________________________
> Beowulf mailing list, Beowulf at beowulf.org sponsored by Penguin Computing
> To change your subscription (digest mode or unsubscribe) visit http://www.beowulf.org/mailman/listinfo/beowulf

More information about the Beowulf mailing list