[Beowulf] Degree

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Oct 24 20:23:07 PDT 2012

On 10/24/12 7:24 PM, "Joe Landman" <landman at scalableinformatics.com> wrote:

>On 10/24/2012 10:20 PM, Josh Catana wrote:
>> As some working in HPC as an indefinite length contractor in the U.S.
>> this topic intrigues me. Even though the company I contract for has me
>> training their new employees and basically in control of everything in
>> their environment for the last 3 years, they refuse to hire me on
>> directly because I don't have a bachelors.
>
>Some of the smartest, most professional, and hardest working people I've
>met don't have advanced degrees.
>
>It sounds to me like a failure in management more than anything else.

Sometimes it's a matter of overly conservative policies.

For instance, people without degrees in the United States often will be
considered non-exempt employees (e.g. Receive overtime at time and a half)
(actually, newly minted bachelors degrees fit in the same bucket, often).
That might raise issues with comparable compensation.