[Beowulf] Degree

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Oct 24 08:49:19 PDT 2012

Oh man.. you all are opening a BIG can of worms here..

Testing for certifications has been fairly well discredited because it's too easy to set up "certificate mills" and because the certifications tend to be single manufacturer specific (e.g. Cisco Network Engineer, Microsoft Certified Professional, Novell, etc. etc.etc).  You'll note that employment ads these days don't ask for certifications as much any more..  (although ones like PMP, which are more generalized, although specific to the certifying organization, you'll see)

The requirement for a degree has very little to do with the material you may have studied in the pursuit of that degree, particularly in the software field.  30 years ago, there were very few degrees in software fields (e.g. at UCLA, it was Math/CS; at Cal it was EE/CS).  My wife (erstwhile software developer, now IT manager) has a degree in Poli Sci (one could argue that this is actually a pretty useful field of study when it comes to being in management).

Part of the "value" of a degree is that for new entrants to the workforce (with no previous paid work experience), it indicates that you have the ability to stick with something for 4 years, even though there may be "scut work" kind of requirements.   A degree from an accredited institution also means that you've had some moderate breadth of exposure to various topics beyond some narrow specialization (e.g. you probably had to write something at some point):  the "well-rounded worker".  This is predicated on the assumption that as a professional, you'll inevitably have to do things outside what you've done before, and the 4 year degree (in theory) indicates that you're not going to be hopeless when that occurs.

Ultimately, it is a "signal" for traits deemed desirable by employers.

An alternate path is professional licensure.  In some places, getting a professional license does not require a 4 year degree, but does require 6 years of experience, with detailed references from engineers who supervised you, etc.  (in fact, some number of years of a degree can count for some of the experience years, providing it's from a ABET accredited curriculum, etc.)

Jim Lux