[Beowulf] K Computer built for speed, not use

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 11 09:59:48 PDT 2012

On Oct 11, 2012, at 5:16 PM, Lux, Jim (337C) wrote:

> A good example of specialized computing would be the work that DE
> Shaw is doing.  They're building specialized ASICs (or FPGA
> programs) tailored for their chemistry applications, to get
> multiple order of magnitude improvement over general purpose
> solutions.  Clearly they think it's worthwhile: it's a high risk,
> high reward sort of industry

Well it's a good example of what HPC is - taking a look into the
future by spending some money on number crunching hardware.

With FPGA's they probably see further into the future than equivalent
priced supercomputers can.Note that you need quite capable
hardware engineers with respect to FPGA's and especially with respect
to memory controllers, in order to beat nowadays GPU's,
but that's undoubtfully what they do.

When having a good fpga design and i talked for prices of mass
producing it, in itself printing a 1000 fpga chips is just 50 dollar
a piece.
Then add $100 for each pci-card and some for SRAM on card, depending
upon how much SRAM you want.

So in itself to crunch with fpga is cheaper than equivalent GPU's,
provided you've got a capable network as probably the bandwidth
required is going to be huge in case of internode communication.

Of course the costs of the team and development cost of the capable
FPGA is in the many millions of dollars a year.

Kind Regards,
Vincent