[Beowulf] RAM for X7DWT-INF

Duke Nguyen duke.lists at gmx.com
Tue Oct 9 21:26:36 PDT 2012

Hi folks,

We are building a small-scale cluster for the institute. We just got
twin servers with motherboards X7DWT-INF and now are looking for memory
for these boards. Checking the manufacture's website
(http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon1333/5400/X7DWT-INF.cfm)
we got:

Memory Capacity
Eight 240-pin DIMM sockets
Supports up to 64 GB 800* / 667 / 533MHz DDR2 ECC FB-DIMM memory
Dual branch memory bus
Memory must be populated in pairs
Memory Sparing supported
Memory Type
800* / 667 / 533MHz FB-DIMM (Fully Buffered DIMM) ECC DDR2 SDRAM 72-bit,
240-pin gold-plated DIMMs

crucial.com
(http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?mfr=Supermicro&model=SUPER%20X7DWT-INF)
also says that these boards support DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 PC2-6400 Fully
Buffered modules.

but when checking ebay for some similar modules, I am totally confused
with *different* RAM modules: PC2-5300 Fully Buffered, PC2-5300F,
PC2-5300P etc... My questions are:

  * Are PC2-5300 Fully Buffered and PC2-5300F the same? If yes then will
these fit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/128GB-32X-4GB-DDR2-PC2-5300F-FULLY-BUFFERED-SERVER-MEMORY-RAM-/380477949044?pt=US_Memory_RAM_&hash=item589640c474?
  * Has any others with the same or similar boards tried 8GB modules,
for example the one suggested by crucial
(http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=94124815A5CA7304).
I know that the board can support up to 8GB module each slot, but it
said 8GB-untested

Thanks,

D.