[Beowulf] Why We Need a Supercomputer on the Moon

Nathan Moore ntmoore at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 10:39:11 PDT 2012

> Ouliang Chang floated his lunar supercomputer idea a few weeks ago at a
> space
> conference in Pasadena, California. The plan is to bury a massive machine
> in
> a deep dark crater, on the side of the moon that’s facing away from Earth
> and
> all of its electromagnetic chatter. Nuclear-powered, it would process data
> for space missions and slingshot Earth’s Deep Space Network into a brand
> new
> moon-centric era.

As I recall,  the moon is "tidally" (?) locked to the earth, and we always
see the same side of it.  I further recall that the "other" side of the
moon is essentially a giant asteroid shield (for the earth).  I don't know
the extraterrestial impact flux density, but I'm guessing it is "more
often" than the MTBF for a hard disc.