[Beowulf] cluster building advice?

Christopher Samuel samuel at unimelb.edu.au
Tue Oct 2 01:52:40 PDT 2012

On 27/09/12 10:24, Gerald Henriksen wrote:

> Googled RHEL gcc 4.7 and discovered that Red Hat has something
> called Red Hat Developer Toolset which is gcc 4.7 for RHEL 5 and
> 6.

What we do is build GCC, LLVM, etc, from source and install as:

Then people can use modules to pick the one they want.

For MPI stacks, applications, etc, we install as:

and then our modules name them as $package-$compiler/$version so
someone can do "module load namd-intel" and get whatever is the
current version.

So on our clusters our users get openmpi-intel/1.4.5 by default, but
can switch to openmpi-gcc should they so need to.

We can then use module files that can pull out their package name,
version and compiler with:

set ver [lrange [split [ module-info name ] / ] 1 1 ]
set name [lrange [split [ module-info name ] / ] 0 0 ]
set subname [lrange [split $name - ] 0 0 ]
set compiler [lrange [split $name - ] 1 1 ]

and just set the $PATH for the user with:

prepend-path PATH /usr/local/$subname/$ver-$compiler/bin

So we can have a generic base module for a package with symlinks to
the particular versions.

- --

Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (GNU/Linux)