[Beowulf] Intel buys QLogic InfiniBand business

Tom Elken tom.elken at qlogic.com
Fri Jan 27 15:08:58 PST 2012

> Finally, I haven't seen it mentioned whether or not QLogic's IB switch
> was part of the purchase.

>From the QLogic press release: " QLogic Corp. ...
today announced a definitive agreement to sell the product lines ... associated with its InfiniBand business to Intel Corporation ..."

So "the product lines" means both the switch and HCA product lines.

Last summer Intel acquired an Ethernet switch business:
http://newsroom.intel.com/community/intel_newsroom/blog/2011/07/19/intel-to-acquire-fulcrum-microsystems
so it is not unprecedented that they are interested in switching as well as host technologies.

-Tom

If it is, then you should note that it's not