[Beowulf] Intel buys QLogic InfiniBand business

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 23 17:00:43 PST 2012

On Jan 24, 2012, at 1:51 AM, Christopher Samuel wrote:

> On 24/01/12 11:40, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
>> Overall seen bluegene machines never really had a low power usage,
>> despite some stupid professors shouting that.
> So that's why the top 5 places on the last Green500 are all BlueGene..

I wondered about that as well.

When i see 1 gpu get nearly 1 teraflop eating probably a tad more
power than
official, say a 250 watt it'll consume. I already use more power now
than the specs in

Yet even then that's 4 gflop per watt.

Last time i calculated bluegene, sure that's probably the previous
it was 3 watts per gflop, or factor 12 more power than a Radon HD 7970.

Please note that in the statements of most HPC centers claiming blue
gene to be energy efficient,
usually they do not release numbers.

But now the important question, what's price of bluegene per teraflop?

It's let's have a look, around a 500 euro or so for a Radeon HD7970