[Beowulf] A cluster of Arduinos

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 11 14:56:12 PST 2012

On Jan 11, 2012, at 11:47 PM, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:

> Jim, your microcontroller cluster is not a rather good idea.
>
> Latency didn't keep up with the CPU speeds...
>
> Todays nodes have a CPU core or 12 and soon 16 which can execute,
> let's take a simple integer example in my chessprogram and its IPC,
> about 24 instructions per cycle
>
> So nothing SIMD, just simple integer instructions most of it, of
> course loads which effectively
> come from L1 play an overwhelming role there.
>
> typical latencies to do a random memory read from the remote nodes,
> even with the latest networks,
> it's between 0.85 and 1.9 microseconds. Let's take optimistic 1
> microsecond. RDMA read...
>
> So in that timeframe you can execute 24k+ instructions.

Hah, how easy it is to make a mistake, sorry for that.

I didn't even multiply by the Ghz frequency of the cpu's yet.

So if it's 3Ghz or so, it's actually closer to factor 75k faster than
24k.

Furthermore another problem is that you cant fully load networks of
course.

So to keep the network functioning great you want to do such
hammering over the network no more than once each 750k instructions.