[Beowulf] PCPro: AMD: what went wrong?

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Mon Feb 20 12:48:49 PST 2012

On Feb 20, 2012, at 9:29 PM, Lux, Jim (337C) wrote:

> Comments below about automated vs manual design..
>

> On 2/20/12 10:10 AM, "Mark Hahn" <hahn at mcmaster.ca> wrote:
>
>>> mid-range Core i5s. The verdict was unanimous; our sister title
>>> bit-tech dubbed the FX-8150 a ?stinker?.
>>
>> well, for desktops.  specFPrate scores are pretty competitive
>> (though sandybridge xeons are reportedly quite a bit better.)
>>
>>> Light was shed on Bulldozer?s problems when ex-AMD engineer Cliff
>>> Maier spoke out about manufacturing issues during the earliest
>>> stages
>>> of design. ?Management decided there should be cross-engineering
>>> [between AMD and ATI], which meant we had to stop hand-crafting CPU
>>> designs,? he said.
>>
>> I'm purely armchair when it comes to low-level chip design, but to
>> me,
>> this makes it sound like there are problems with their tools.  what's
>> the nature of the magic that slower/human design makes, as opposed to
>> the magic-less automatic design?
>
> One place where humans can do a better job is in the place and route,
> particularly if the design is tight on available space.  If there's
> plenty
> of room, an autorouter can do pretty well, but if it's tight, you
> get to
> high 90s % routed, and then it gets sticky.  It's a very, very complex
> problem because you have to not only find room for interconnects, but
> trade off propagation delay so that it can actually run at rated
> speed:
> spreading out slows you down.  (same basic problem as routing printed
> circuit boards)
>
> Granted modern place and route is very sophisticated, but
> ultimately, it's
> a heuristic process (Xilinx had simulated annealing back in the
> 80s, for
> instance) which is trying to capture routine guidelines and rules (as
> opposed to trying guided random strategies like GA, etc.)

Actually for hand optimization of yields at modern CPU's stuff like
simulated annealing is less popular.

You can actually also use lineair solvers for that, in order to
recalculate entire design and under the right
constraints it gives an optimal solution, which is not garantueed for
the non-lineair solving methods as
those also easily can pick a local maximum.

Stuff like simulated annealing is more popular at the non-lineair
problems such as in artificial intelligence.