[Beowulf] Clusters just got more important - AMD's roadmap

Peter Kjellström cap at nsc.liu.se
Wed Feb 8 05:13:49 PST 2012

> > GPU line will continue
> > also inside cpu's integrated. Total monopoly for intel for
> > applications needing CPU's as it seems.
>
> you seem to have missed AMD's main point, which HSA: the concept of
> pushing x86 and GPU together to enable something higher-performing.
> it's not a crazy idea, though pretty ambitious.

The APU concept has a few interesting points but certainly also a few major
problems (when comparing it to a cpu + stand alone gpu setup):

 * Memory bandwidth to all those FPUs
 * Power (CPUs in servers today max out around 120W with GPUs at >250W)

Either way we're in for an interesting future (as usual) :-)

/Peter